Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Media Diet

As I sit here typing this and listening to the television in the background, I am realizing how much media takes place in my life. Whether it's watching a T.V. show, listening to my iPod, or watching a movie I am basically always surrounded by media in one form or another.

I noticed how much time I am actually wasting watching T.V. almost every day when I get home from school. I'll watch shows that don't even interest me just to pass the time. I know I waste at least two hours from watching shows that I do like, such as Life Changers with Dr. Drew, Roseanne, Family Feud, and The Nanny. Those are my must watch T.V. shows. Some days I wouldn't watch them though because I wouldn't go home after school. That's the only time I didn't watch those shows. Even once my shows have ended I usually continue watching something else for another hour or so. I could be doing something much more productive with my time like doing homework/studying, working out, or cleaning, but instead I choose not to. This bothers me but it's not very likely that I will change my routines of watching T.V. when I come home; it's what I'm used to.

Whenever I am in the car I always plug my iPod in. To and from school is about 20 minutes all together. When I go somewhere throughout the week like the mall, my boyfriends, or dropping Gena off or picking her up from soccer or what not, I am listening to the radio or my iPod. Music is relaxing to me. It helps take my mind off things. While I get ready for school or work I listen to my iPod; It's just too quiet if I don't. I don't like the silence, it creeps me out.

I love movies, so if I find a good one I can watch it over and over again. My friend and I exchange movies sometimes. He'll recommend one to me and I'll tell him about another. I go to sleep watching movies so that could count as a lot of time but if I'm super tired I fall asleep even if I like the movie a lot.

Going into this I pretty much knew what my media diet would be like. I know I have a routine of watching T.V. when I get home, listening to the radio/iPod while driving, and watching movies while going to sleep. I was a little surprised though that I had no reading/writing time and little time on the internet. Going on the internet for me depends on how busy I am or if somebody else in my family is already on it. So, that sort of makes sense actually. I think this could be a good thing to learn from. I want to change the way media is in my life. I should be doing more productive things with my time; I hope to do so sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment